Sunday 10 June 2012

25 Facts: Poet and Author Natascha Scrivener

  1. I tend to only write in the evenings, or late at night when my daughter is asleep and my husband is at work. Having people around puts me off.
  2. I have to leave the room if someone is reading my work in front of me. It makes me cringe and curl up in a ball.
  3. I've been writing stories (as best I could) since I was 4. I have an old school excersize book from when I was that age where I wrote an (11 word) story about a dog puppet called Fred (accompanied by alarming illustrations).
  4. I can only write on my laptop. Pen and paper can't keep up with my train of thought, and by the end of it I cannot understand what I have written.
  5. I love making lists of things that I need to get done.
  6. I love ticking things off the list even more.
  7. Buying new stationary makes me more happy than meeting up with a friend.
  8. Most of my inspiration for poetry comes from music (and musical icons -David Bowie and Boy George).
  9. A few of my poems are written about my husband. (the nicer ones!)
  10. With poetry I rarely ever editor re write, with fiction I am there for days...
  11. Most of the inspiration for my fiction comes from minority groups and sexual deviants (either being the main theme or just a whisper of a passing line).
  12. My 'writing heroin' is Virginia Woolf.
  13. The writers I read the most of are Virginia Woolf, Joanne Harris, Sarah Waters and Peter Hedges. Wouldn't it be nice to be a mix of those!?
  14. I was once asked to sign my autograph by a stranger in the street,I was thoroughly confused and taken aback.
  15. I take criticism of my work better than compliments, although I would rather the latter!
  16. Although my work is often quite dark, I laugh more than most people.Often to the point of hysteria.
  17. I get struck by terrible blinding fear if ever I have to do a radio or in-person interview.
  18. I can write for hours without pausing or 'getting stuck', but find it very difficult to speak, even to friends and family.
  19. I hate the saying 'write what you know'.
  20. I love the quote: 'Why do writers write? Because it isn't there'.
  21. I hate the radio. It puts me in a terrible mood and then I can't write.
  22. I have written an (as yet unpublished) childrens story about a snap dragon.
  23. When I'm not gardening I'm planning home improvements, gardening, baking or playing with my beautiful daughter.
  24. All of my friends have 'proper jobs'. Sometimes I feel they don't think mine is as important...
  25. My husband also writes.(Better than me) 

1 comment:

  1. I identified with quite a few things that you said, especially the love of stationary. My god I love stationary shops!, as a teenager I had load of gorgeous writing pads (I was always buying them) I still have a few writing pad that are 'too nice to write in' lol I enjoyed reading this and learning more about you as a writer :)

    ReplyDelete