Sunday 10 June 2012

25 Facts: Author Leesa Harker


Leesa Harker is a malteser addict (and author) from Ireland. I had the privilege of reading an excerpt from one of her novels (currently a work in progress) which had me giggling away and almost choking on a Hobnob. 
I have faith that we will be seeing her name in Waterstones' windows before too long...

1) I find it hard to settle into a career (before writing) and have had many. Many. Bank manager, car mechanic (yes, seriously), perfume spritzer in Debenhams, animal welfare person in N.I version of RSPCA. The list goes on...
2) I had a pre-mature mid-life crisis at age 27 when I left my £40k a year job and BMW Company car to get the bus to beauty school and spritz ignorant people with perfume in Debenhams.
3) I have an irrational fear of pigeons.
4) I also have an irrational fear of fireworks and loud bangs - party poppers, balloons etc. It's actually called 'phonophobia.' Children's parties are a fright-fest.
5) I used to go around knocking my neighbours doors when I was a kid interviewing them on random subjects (favourite colour/best holiday, etc) and writing their answers in my wee notebook.
6) I have diaries from 2001 to 2005 which terrify me to this day. I was living in England - it was crazy times. But excellent material for writing! Names will be changed, of course ;)
7) I have been writing poems and stories since I was a kid - one that springs to mind is about my (late) Granny farting. Can still remember that one. I think I was about 8 - my mum helped me write it.
8) I have loved books since...ever. I remember my sister looking at me like I was insane when I chose a 'Read it Yourself' book over sweets when my mum took us to 'Crazy Prices' supermarket for our weekly shop.
9) The book was 'Snow White and Rose Red' - I loved that book.
10) I read all of the 'Sweet Valley High' books when I was young and although it might seem a bit cheesey now, it made me realise that the world was bigger than little grey Belfast.
11) I am a serial procrastinator. Even this interview is averting my attention from some serious editing that needs done.
12) I love BIG BROTHER! Don;t shoot me - I just love people-watching. And the moment when their fakeness dissolves and the real person appears.
13) I love change. Have moved house 11 times in 12 years. I think writing lets me explore another life while standing still. It might help me!
14) I day-dream (on a regular basis) about my book on the shelf of Waterstones in Belfast.
15) I love love reading other authors' publication stories, how they got an agent and how they write. Another procrastination device.
16) My mum's Northern Irish, my dad's from Yorkshire and I have a Scottish granny. I'm a dolly mixture.
17) I like being close to the sea. Not 100% sure why but when I lived in middle-England, I felt trapped. It's a form of escape for me, I think.
18) I have a fetish for fancy pens and notebooks. Could spend hours browsing in Paperchase or other ridiculously expensive stationery shops.
19) The idea for my first novel has been in my head for about 8 years - I am so sorry I didn't write it sooner.
20) My mum is a great story-teller. As was her mum before her. I think it's a gene that's been passed down the generations. We have many days where my mum tells me tales of her childhood/growing up and I am literally crying with laughter. I can only hope to have some of her talent of characterisation and one-liners.
21) I am starting to write some of the stories (above) down so I can use them in future novels/short stories. Some of the characters from the estate in Belfast where my mum lived when she was young - well you couldn't make it up!
22) I am very impatient which is why I like reading and writing quick, funny poems. Especially like stuff by Wendy Cope and Roald Dhal etc
23) I cried at the last short story I wrote, so I'm thinking it might be very good. But then again, I cry at the 'Pampers' adverts so ...
24) I haven't the patience/concentration to watch a 90 min film but I can easily read for hours.
25) My birthday this year is 20.12 2012 - It's MY year!

1 comment:

  1. Fact 24 is me down to a tee! I really haven't got the time of day for films!! My husband loves watching films and could (and has) watched them for hours, but I just can't do it, my attention wanders lol
    Great 25 facts, I really enjoyed reading them :)

    ReplyDelete