Thursday 17 May 2012

Interview with: Actor and Poet DUNCAN POW



Interview by Natascha Scrivener


Most people will know you as an actor, but you have been writing poetry since you were 15/16. Did you find that there was any negativity from people, being young, male and a poet? 

I never told anyone really. It was something very personal to me and as such I treated it so.

Do you consider yourself more a poet or an actor?

 An actor but I suppose poetry is the rhythm of the Universe. I believe we are all poets and only some of us write down our vibrations.

Looking back, what do you think of the poetry that you wrote when you were that young? 

It was full of angst. Isn't all teen poetry?

Do you feel that love is better, or more easily expressed through poetry?

No. I think love is better and most easily expressed when you give it to everyone and concentrate on the person right in front of you first.

Are you inspired by any other poets or writers? 

Yes, by many. I am particularly enjoying Rumi at the moment.

What is your writing process like? Do you plan poems or do they just 'fall out of you'? 

They just fall out of me.

Have you written anything else other than poetry? 

Yes. I have written unfinished novels, short stories and screenplays.

Why do you write? 

Why do people not?

Do you have any advice for aspiring poets? 

Write every day.

Have you got plans for any more collections of poetry or any other written works?

Yes. When it is finished you will know!

What made you decide to publish your work, and put it out there for everybody to read? 

Money. Ha Ha.

Name the 3 poems you are most proud of writing, the ones that you personally cannot forget? 

Flow. Fair. A Dreamer.

Poets tend to have favorite poets they visit often, can you suggest someone readers might enjoy checking out? 

Rumi

They say that to see the world with complete honesty one should look to comedians, artists and poets, what do you think emerges naturally from your work? 

Words that evoke emotion in people. I consider myself an emotive writer.

Do you have one poem that you almost did not include in the collection due to it being so personal? Did you include it after all? If so, please tell us about it.

Nope.

All poets have several words that come up over and over again, words or sentences that they just can’t help but use in their work. What are 3 of your absolute favorite words?

 Trapdoor. Contusion. Bloodlust.

If you were given the opportunity to do book signings anywhere you wanted, what cities or countries would definitely be on your book tour? 

Auckland.

What style of poetry do you prefer? ( Freestyle, Rhyming, Haiku) All poetry is a vibration of our hearts and the Universe.

Poets are often said to be eccentric. Please end this interview by creating 2 poetic sentences, strange or quietly profound..your choice. 

What we think we become. 'Buddha' Separate we come and separate we go and this it be certain is all that we know. 'Conrad Aiken'

2 comments:

  1. Great interview, I really enjoyed reading this one. I especially loved what Duncan says about 'We are all poets and only some of us write down our vibrations' That really speaks to the spiritual side of me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I liked how concise and honest he was in this interview. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to interview him again when he brings out another anthology!
    Have you read any of his? I think some of them are available to listen to on youtube but im not sure...

    ReplyDelete